Fundraising Manager – Germany (m/f/d)
Location: Berlin, Germany
Salary: Starting salary €55,000 euros.
Reports to: Global Head of Philanthropy
Contract Type: Permanent Employment
Background and Purpose
The Fundraising Manager, Germany will join ClientEarth’s thriving Philanthropy team and play a leading role in securing income from individuals, trusts, foundations, and other funders in Germany.
ClientEarth is a legal and environmental charity that uses the power of the law to fight against climate change and to protect nature and the environment. Since our founding in 2007 we have blocked over 46 coal mines across Europe, taken the UK Government to court over its air pollution, protected Europe’s most ancient forest and are now expanding our work across Asia and Americas. Just a few of our most recent successes can be read in our September Impact Report.
ClientEarth’s successes and growth are enabled by the Development Department comprising of Grants, Digital Fundraising and Philanthropy; and supported by a Development Operations team who manage data, finance, and admin for the teams. In 2022 the Development Department remains on track to raise £29.6m with ambition to grow to £40m annually by the end of 2026.
The Philanthropy team delivers around £5m annually, and the Fundraising Manager will work alongside two UK based Philanthropy Managers with support from the wider Philanthropy functions including the Officers, Assistant and Stewardship Officer.
The role holder will manage their own portfolio, comprised of five, six and seven figure active donors who deliver around EUR 400,000 annually, plus developing the pipeline of existing prospects and identifying new opportunities. They will lead on German fundraising strategy, meeting budgetary targets and working closely with the ClientEarth Germany office, relevant Board members and wider global team including a well-connected senior volunteer group who have active connections in Germany, ready to be utilised.
This is a key role within the wider global Development team, holding responsibility for developing donor cultivation, stewardship plans and pursuing new opportunities to grow unrestricted income and funding. As a representative of ClientEarth, the post-holder will liaise and build relationships with local funders and will be a primary point of contact and key relationship manager for new donors. The post-holder will have an entrepreneurial approach, be results-orientated with a track record of fundraising success.
As a regional lead, and a valued member of the Development Team, this role is expected to contribute to the overall team’s success: building a culture of collaboration, collegiality and support.
The Fundraising Manager Germany will report to the Global Head of Philanthropy, based in London, and will work closely with senior management and the Berlin team to cultivate new funding relationships. The post-holder will also work with the London-based, Digital Fundraising and Business Development Teams in building a robust and diverse funding portfolio. They will also interact regularly with members of the entire Development Team to assist with cross-team projects and internal communication. They will work closely with Berlin based colleagues in marketing and communications as well as the Berlin Head of Office.
The post-holder will personally manage a portfolio of donor prospects, and support management of key funding relationships of the Berlin Head of Office, CEO, the Chief External Affairs Officer, Global Head of Philanthropy and other senior staff as appropriate.
The post-holder will have key relationships with London-based Finance, Communications and Operations teams; members of the programme teams, as well as trustees, Development Board members, donors and prospects.
Externally, they will also be the lead point of contact for new funding relationships, working with the organisation’s existing funder network as well as developing new contacts.
Establishing local fundraising programme
- Work with London-based Global Head of Philanthropy, Business Development, Grants, Digital Fundraising as well as with the Head of Germany and Communications team Germany on identifying and developing an effective German fundraising strategy, setting appropriate targets and identifying suitable funding sources.
- Work closely with the ClientEarth Germany team on identifying and establishing new funding contacts and represent ClientEarth at high level events to support the development of a growing and robust pipeline of donor and funding opportunities, and maintain portfolio of relationships.
- Manage Germany specific foundation and major donor fundraising operations including prospect research and screening, development of tracking tools, cultivation and stewardship systems.
- Ensure appropriate internal processes in relation to new funding opportunities are followed in order to enable strategic decision making to take place e.g. due diligence screening.
- Support the Global Head of Philanthropy in the development and review of systems and procedures and as appropriate, advise on the necessary adaptation of such for the German fundraising programme.
- Develop the German donor pipeline; create and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies.
- Manage existing donor portfolio, to secure new and renewed giving.
- Support the Global Head of Philanthropy in creating the conditions for success within the Development Department including structure, operations, vision and values.
- Personally solicit major contributions from donors and as part of a solicitation team.
- Devise and manage cultivation and stewardship events for prospective and existing donors.
- Maintain accurate, up to date data and records and produce progress and financial reports for senior management in the UK as well as the various Boards.
- Develop public-facing communications materials consistent with brand guidelines, in coordination with the communications team and programme staff as appropriate.
- Support the Global Head of Philanthropy and the Head of Germany to develop and implement the German specific strategy e.g. key donors; type of income sources; and internal resources.
- Work closely with the Heads of teams in Development to devise and implement the new global team strategy.
- Keep up to date on trends and developments, and ensure these are worked into internal activities and planning.
Experience and knowledge
- Significant and demonstrable experience of working in a fundraising role for a charity, NGO, private or public entity (essential).
- Significant experience of fundraising in the German market (essential).
- A proven track record of major donor management, soliciting and closing five-figure gifts (essential), six figure gifts (desirable).
- Experience of individual giving and online fundraising (desirable).
- Experience of successfully managing the relationship with a new donor, from prospect identification through to cultivation, encompassing both personal engagement with prospects and/or coordinating the input of colleagues from across the organisation (essential).
- Significant experience of drafting proposals for trusts, foundations and/or statutory institutions and securing multi-year, six and seven-figure grants (desirable).
- Knowledge of and/or interest in environmental issues such as climate change, biodiversity, air pollution (desirable).
- Experience using fundraising databases and internal information management systems (e.g. Raiser’s Edge, SharePoint) (desirable).
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in German.
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in English.
- Comfortable with remote or matrix management and working in a global organisation.
- Excellent organisational skills and efficient management and prioritisation of multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, with ability to foster positive working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders, including and especially with funders.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to make strategic decisions in relation to funding opportunities, ensuring alignment of approach/proposal with organisational priorities and mission.
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, Board members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to respond to competing deadlines and manage multiple tasks and priorities within a working environment.
- Ability to execute work independently and take the initiative when required.
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of the importance of providing timely and accurate information on funder portfolios for the purposes of internal monitoring.
- Ability to understand and analyse budgets and financial information thoroughly.
- IT skills - MS Office and teleconferencing (Skype, Zoom).
- Commitment to ClientEarth’ s vision, mission, values, and a working style which reflects these.
How to apply
Please send a letter of application no more than one page outlining your motivation for the job with your CV/resume, maximum two pages in English and in strict confidence by email to Ruth Gardner at email@example.com. Please send as PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “ClientEarth Fundraising Manager” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 13th of November 2022
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
Anstellungsart & Berufserfahrung
Stellenanzeige als PDF zum Download