Soil Organic Carbon Research Associate
TMG Research gGmbHVeröffentlicht: 13.01.2021
About TMG Research:
We are a Berlin-based research organization, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya. We work on responsible governance and sustainability issues in land, agricultural and food systems, and address the nexus between sustainable development, climate and energy. We are dedicated to the analysis of new and complex challenges in national, European and international contexts and processes, and identifying novel solutions based on sound knowledge and our strong collaboration with a wide range of actors and communities in various fields and locations. Our research projects are developed, conducted and evaluated jointly with actors from science, politics, the private sector and civil society.
About the project:
The SEWOH Lab project seeks to explore digitalisation as a strategy to achieve SDG 2 and Agenda 2030. We want to unlock the potential of digital solutions for inclusive agricultural development and sustainable and nutritious food systems in Africa and elsewhere. In identifying technical innovations and linking them to organisational and social ones, we explore how they can work for vulnerable and food insecure populations. The SEWOH Lab project is financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- Implement and coordinate the project’s workstream on Soil Organic Carbon, including ensuring process and output quality, budget controlling, and reporting, in close collaboration with the project lead
- Plan and conduct research activities, also with partners
- Initiate or further develop our collaboration with NGOs, grassroot movements and other actors in Kenya and potentially other countries in Western and Eastern Africa
- Write scientific publications, blogs and short positioning pieces, as a leading author, and in close collaboration with other staff on the project and in TMG
- Strategically position TMG and the project in the relevant (policy) debates on soil organic carbon, as well as digital solutions for small scale land managers through various types of publications and events
- Coordinate, facilitate and lead stakeholder and partner workshops both in Africa and in Europe, in close collaboration with other staff and our partners
- Actively engage in other on-going projects, support project development and the expansion of TMG’s project portfolio
- Contribute to TMG’s outreach activities (social media, website, etc.)
- Post-graduate degree in Political or Social Sciences, Tropical Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Development Studies, International Governance, Sustainability science or a related field
- Expertise and a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the areas of sustainable and inclusive development, food systems, land management/rights, smallholder agriculture, social and digital innovation especially in the global south
- Experienced in writing academic publications as well as blogs and opinion pieces
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
- Good working knowledge of French is a considerable advantage
- Experience (working) in Western and Eastern Africa would be a further advantage
- Excellent management and organisational skills
- Ability to work effectively, diplomatically, and sensitively with a wide range of partners from science, policy, and civil society
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- Experience working remotely or in remote teams is an advantage
We offer you:
- Working in an applied research organisation with a truly international work programme and the aspiration to enable sustainability transformations
- The opportunity to contribute to the development of activities aiming to make digitalisation work for marginalised and vulnerable populations
- A young, dynamic, diverse and family-friendly working environment
- A position that is remunerated in accordance with TVöD E13
This position is to be filled as soon as possible and will have a duration of two years. The position is available for 80 or 100%. Our full working week counts 39 hours. Duty station is Berlin.
TMG Research gGmbH is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at TMG Research is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. We celebrate diversity and inclusion and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. It is TMG Research’s policy to comply with all applicable national and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.
How to apply:
Applications including a cover letter, CV and writing sample in English should be submitted in one PDF document (max. 5 MB). by 07 February 2021. Please upload your application online via the application button and refer in your application to the website where the job ad was published.
For information on the project, please contact the project lead Sarah D’haen via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). For details on the application process, please contact Ms. Anna Günther via email (email@example.com) or phone (+49 (30) 92 10 74 07 – 45).
Looking forward to hearing from you!
- Naturwissenschaften, Forschung, Entwicklung
- Öffentlicher Dienst
- Land-, Forstwirschaft, GaLaBau
- Grüne und soziale Startups
Anstellungsart & Berufserfahrung
Festanstellung, befristeter Vertrag
Stellenanzeige als PDF zum Download